Janome is one of the world’s premier manufacturers of sewing machines. Their plants are located in Japan, Taiwan, and Thailand. Janome sewing machines are known for their simplicity and versatility when it comes to creativity, design, and usage.
For years, this brand has provided quality sewing machines and parts that have affordable rates for both domestic and commercial purposes. Janome manufactures a variety of machines, depending on the user’s skill and requirements. This means that their sewing machines can cater to every level of dressmaker or designer.
Janome Sewing Machines Buying Guide
Sewing machines are generally categorized into three types: Mechanical, Electronic, and Computerized.
- Mechanical sewing machines are perhaps the oldest type and rarely available in the market today. As a basic sewing machine, it didn’t offer many features and was restricted to limited stitching with a hand-held motor.
- Electronic sewing machines are the ones that have a foot pedal to run the motor. These machines have great needle penetration and give constant sewing. If you are a home sewer and require a machine to perform basic easy tasks, then an electronic sewing machine is your choice, and you would easily find an affordable option.
- Computerized sewing machines offer a wide range of functions and accessories including, an LED display and touch control panel. All features, functions, and stitch memories of computerized sewing machines are controlled and guided by a microprocessor. This type of machine is ideally used to bring more creativity into fabrics and perform large projects.
All sewing machines come with some essential and optional features. These features not only distinguish them from one another but also have a great impact on the quality of stitching. Some of the essential features of every sewing machine are as follows:
- Stitches: Each machine has a dial that gives you a range of stitch type, length, and width. In computerized machines, this dial is replaced by a touchpad selection. You will also find decorative stitches such as numbers, alphabets, straight and curvy in the machine, but if you are a beginner, the straight and zigzag stitch is good to start with.
- Automatic Buttonholer: This feature solves your hassle of sewing the buttons in the perfect place. All sewing machines come with either one of four buttonhole option and can be sewed either in a step by step process or simply in all in go.
- Feed Dog: This is an essential feature if you wish to do freestyle or intricate embroidery. Most computerized machines allow the drop-feed-dog mechanism, which allows you to deactivate or adjust the feed dog, as per your fabric conditions.
- Bobbin: The need to open the machine to refill a bobbin is quite irritating, especially when you are engrossed in stitching, and you don’t notice the bobbin going empty. The newer machines include a transparent drop-in or top-loading bobbin cover that allows you to see how much thread is left. Some machines also offer automatic bobbin refilling, as well.
- Presser Feet: A presser foot is meant to hold the fabric under the needle and the feed dog. Some machines offer multi-purpose adjustable presser feet for different kinds of fabrics.
- Power Switch: This isn’t an essential feature but definitely useful if you have kids in the house. With an on/off switch, you feel secure that the machine won’t start away itself.
- Needle Position: A machine with needle position helps in lifting the pressure foot and move the needle up, down, left, and right when you aren’t stitching or need to move the fabric.
- Needle Threader: This is another important feature if you wish to make regular use of the machine. An automatic needle threader will prevent you from squinting and make sure you don’t miss out on threading the needle.
A good sewing machine must be comfortable and include ergonomically designed features. The controls should be accessible, and the LED screen must be visible and readable with good resolution.
Best High-End Janome Computerized Machines
The Janome 6500 is a computerized dream machine for all kinds of fabric and uses. It has a sewing speed of 1,000 stitches per minute and a 9×5 inches of throat space for quick and efficient stitching. The start/stop button, and the speed control slider makes Janome 6500 a safe and easy machine for beginners and professional sewers. It is an all-in-one machine that allows stitching, applique, concealing, and individual/combination stitch editing. It gives uniform stitching, easy movement of the fabric, and convenient feed dog drop.
Janome 6500 is a solid and strong machine ideal for stitching large products like quilts, curtains, etc. If you plan to stitch for long hours, the extra high presser foot lift and foot pressure adjustment will give your feet less stress, and you can place your hands on the fabric. With 5 memory banks, memorized needle up/down feature, and last stitch recall capability, you don’t have to think of your last move because Janome will remember it all.
Most importantly, Janome 6500 makes less noise as compared to other sewing machines and is easy to set-up with the instruction manual.
- Stitching Speed: 1,000 stitches per minute
- 135 built-in stitches with alphabets
- Start/stop button
- Foot pressure adjustment
- Speed control slider
- Automatic thread cutter
- Extension table included
- 5 memory banks
- LCD screen
Janome 8200 is an improvised version of Janome MC7700QCP. With additional features, more power, and room for creativity, Janome 8200 is one of those sewing machines that fit all your needs. It features a built-in ACUFEED FLEX system for detailed stitching and an 11” arm space/9mm stitch width that can easily handle large quilts, bridal dresses, curtains, and other projects. The machine offers more than 200 stitch varieties, 7-styled automatic buttonholes to make creative designs and patterns. The automatic needle threader and changeable needle plate give straight stitch performance.
This Janome sewing machine is equally easy to use; it has a speed control dial that allows you to adjust the sewing speed and a start/stop button that can be used to control the machine when you don’t want to use the foot control. For the user’s convenience, it comes with a rolling storage case, a large, strongly built extension table, and a durable tabletop cover.
All in all, Janome is a user-friendly machine that gives great stitching and finishing. It’s easy to use, and the instruction manual is easy to comprehend for beginners and professionals.
- Built-In ACUFEED FLEX Feeding System
- 170 built-in stitches up to 9mm wide, plus 3 alphabets
- 10 one-step buttonholes
- Built-in, one-hand needle threader
- 7-piece feed dog
- Advanced Plate Markings
- Adjustable knee lift
- Extra high presser foot lift
- High-resolution LCD touchscreen
- Foot pressure adjustment
- Maximum stitch width: 9mm
- Maximum stitch length: 5mm
- 5 ultrabright LED lamps for shadow-free sewing
The Janome 4120 QDC is a domestic sewing machine equipped with essential components to fit your daily sewing needs. From alteration to stitching, patchwork, and quilting, this machine has a solid construction for daily rough use. Consisting of 120 stitches, 7 buttonholes, and automatic thread cutter, it proves to give precision, creativity, and quality all in one machine.
Since this machine is ideally designed to do all kinds of sewing, it is super comfortable. It consists of purpose-built features that insert less pressure on your eyes, foot, and hands, especially when you have lengthy, large projects.
From the automatic needle threader to jam-proof top loading bobbin system, extra-high presser foot lift, foot pressure adjustment, and extension table, everything in this machine is designed to give the user a satisfying and fulfilling sewing experience.
- 120 built-in stitches, plus Alphabet fonts, American, European and Cyrillic
- 7 one-step buttonholes
- Built-in one-hand needle threader
- Memorized needle up/down with down as default setting
- 7-piece feed dog and Drop feed
- Built-in thread cutter
- Start-stop and easy reverse button
- Stitch pattern memory capability
- Auto declutch bobbin winder
- Extra high presser foot lift
- LCD screen with enhanced informational display and touchpad for easy navigation
- Foot pressure adjustment
- Horizontal full rotary hook bobbin system
- Maximum Stitch Width: 7mm
- Maximum Stitch Length: 5mm
- Hardcover and instructional DVD included
This version of Janome sewing machine is called the full-featured machine because of its vast benefits, durability, and affordable price. Keeping in mind a quilter’s needs, it consists of an exclusive plus feed system, 60 stitches, and 6 one-step buttonholes that ensure stable feeding and even stitching. Like all other Janome machines, this one is also incomplete without a built-in needle threader, memorized needle up/down, one hand needle threader, drop feed, and lock stitch button to make every stitch and every décor perfect.
Apart from its functionality and durable fittings, another thing that makes Janome 3160QDC-B a better choice is its weight and convenience. It is much lighter and quieter than other machines and comes with easy navigation keys for beginners to understand and use instantly.
- Superior Plus Feed System (SFS+)
- 60 stitches included
- 7-piece feed dog
- Extended needle plate
- Extension Table
- Quilting Attachment Kit
Best Janome Embroidery Machines
Janome 350E memory craft is perhaps one of the best and most advanced embroidery-only machines. It makes embroidery and embellishments easy and interesting that anyone can do at home. Featuring 100 built-in designs, a rolling trolley, cherry blossom bobbins, and blue tip needles, you can now get professional embroidery designs at home with the same professional stitch as you may find in your favorite brand.
Janome 350E also allows you to make 2 and 3 letters monogramming with three different font styles. So next time you want to give your loved ones a present, make sure it is customized with Janome 350E. This stand-alone embroidery machine also has a USB memory key, editing tools, and a microprocessor to import designs and make your creative samples.
- 100 built-in designs
- Maximum embroidery size: 5.5” x 7.9”
- Backlit LCD touchscreen
- Built-in needle threader
- Automatic thread cut
- Design transfer via USB and ATA PC card
- Editing features such as enlarge/reduce, rotate, turnover, drag and drop, zoom
Janome MOD-19 is a little starter machine designed for beginner level stitching and usage. It features 19 stitches, a built-in need threader, four-step buttonhole, and sewing speed up to 800 SPM, which means you get smooth, even, and faster stitching even at home.
As a basic sewing machine that is super easy to use, another thing that’s interesting about this product is its adjustable stitch length and width dials that allow you to customize settings as per your fabric need. Unlike other machines, Janome MOD-19 is made up of heavy-duty metal frame that adds durability and further life comes from the 25-year warranty making this a worthy investment.
- 425 Built-in stitches
- Memory capability: up to 4MB of storage
- LCD Full color touchscreen
- Maximum stitch width 9m and length 5mm
- Maximum embroidery size: 9.1” x 11.8” (230mm x 300mm)
- Design transfer options: USB, Direct PC Connection via Horizon Link
- Embroidery sewing speed: 400 – 1,000 spm
- Kit includes Semi Hard Cover and DVD
This small and handy Janome Mystical sewing machine may look least effective but can handle all kinds of sewing projects, from simple ones to scrapbooking, mending, and paper crafting. While it looks appealing to the eye, it also features some great tools and fittings that make this a perfect, portable, and lightweight option for both beginners and professionals.
Essential features of Janome Mystical sewing machine include an on/off one-speed foot pedal, five straight stitch & 3 zigzag stitch variations, and 6 stitch width and length variations. If you are aiming to instill sewing skills in your younger ones, this is a user-friendly, safe choice for them to start with.
- 73 built-in designs
- 3 alphabet fonts for lettering
- Maximum embroidery size: 5” x 5”
- USB port for importing designs
- Embroidery sewing speed up to 650spm
- On screen editing functions include enlarge/reduce, rotate, turnover
- Backlit LCD touchscreen
Janome 3128 is a powerful, easy-to-use machine that gives precision and perfection in every stitch. Featuring 8 stretch and utility stitches, auto-declutch bobbin winder, stitch selection dial, and a four-step buttonhole, this serves as a starter machine to learn sewing or get into practice.
Despite being a beginner machine, Janome 3128 is speedy and smooth. With 650 stitches per minute, you can do all execute all domestic, small to medium level stitching and sewing projects with this machine. Janome 3128 has everything you need to be an expert.
- 19 Built-In Stitches
- One 4-Step Buttonhole
- Adjustable Stitch Length & Width
- 5-Piece Feed Dog System
- Heavy Duty Interior Metal Frame
- Maximum Stitch Length 4mm and Width: 5mm
- Maximum Sewing Speed: 750 stitches per minute
- 25-Year Limited Warranty
Janome 2212 is an affordable entry-level sewing machine with all basic features that a sewer may require. With 12 built-in stitches, easy to use four-step buttonhole, adjustable stitch length, and width dial, it ensures to keep users comfortable and confident during every stitching project.
With some basic features, Janome 2212 is also versatile, light in weight and compact. So if you live in a small apartment, dorm, or if you travel frequently, this machine can go with you everywhere. Since this model of Janome is durable and sturdy, it’s widely used by sewing students to practice long hours of projects with no fear of break-down.
- 4 stitches – Straight, Zigzag, Crescent, Multiple Zigzag
- 4-Piece Feed Dogs
- Extra High Presser Foot Lift
- Stitch Selection Dial
- Available in 10 different colors
Up until now, you have seen easy-to-use Janome machines with limited functions, but here is Magnolia 7318, with an extensive list of electronic features that you may not find anywhere else. A perfect choice for quilting, crafting, sewing your personal clothes and home décor fabrics, this version will fulfill your need for quality, precision, and power.
Janome Magnolia 7318 is specially designed for beginners. Therefore, all its features are placed thoughtfully, be it the 18 built-in decorative stitches displayed on the front panel, adjustable length, width dial, or a needle plate for marking the measurement. This is certainly a value-priced machine for all kinds of projects.
- 18 stitches
- One four-step buttonhole
- 5-piece feed dog
- Free arm
- Drop feed
- Stitch selection dial
- Maximum stitch width 5mm and length: 4mm
Although many brands manufacture innovative sewing machines at reasonable prices, Janome is gradually taking the lead. Along with computerized sewing machines, they also have a wide range of basic sewing machines, and all of them prove to be consistent in quality, precision, and latest technical features. With Janome, stitching becomes fun, creative, and inspirational.