Like with many other household appliances, you should maintain your sewing machine to prolong its useful life. Even the top rated sewing machines that are known to be durable also need at least a basic regular maintenance to keep them in tip-top working condition.
Here are the following sewing machine maintenance tips to be considered. And you don’t have to worry because they’re absolutely easy to do!
- When the sewing machine is not in use, cover it to prevent dust and dirt from entering the inside parts of the machine. Almost all sewing machines come with a protective cover.
- If you’re using an electronic or computerized sewing machine, make sure to unplug the sewing machine after each use.
- It is preferable to use new, good-quality thread at every use to prevent the build up of lint.
- Regularly oil the parts of your sewing machine to keep it working. Lubricate even the bobbin with just a bit of the sewing machine oil.
- Do not use sewing machine oil for computerized sewing machines, unless it’s specifically written in the manual.
- If you have just bought a new sewing machine, make sure to read the instructions in the manual before you begin using it.
- Change needles often. Make sure that the needles you use are the ones that are designed for a specific type of machine, or recommended for a certain type of fabric.
- Clean the exterior of your sewing machine using a lint-free cloth. For harder-to-reach areas of the sewing machine (like thread guides), use a lint-free brush. A lot of sewing machines come with a lint-free brush. Still, make sure that such brush is available when you purchase a sewing machine.
- If there is lint that remains in the sewing machine, use a blow dryer to remove it.
- Like a car, a sewing machine also requires a professional service care time and again. If you are not sure on how to clean or fix your sewing machine, it’s better to leave those things to a professional rather than attempting to fix the problems by yourself — it may do the sewing machine more harm than good!
Purchasing a sewing machine should be considered an investment — and when you are about to buy one, it is advisable to go for one of the best sewing machines sold on the market. You should take care good of it to keep it running for many years, and in the process you’ll be getting the biggest return on your investment. A lot of sewing machine reviews also offer their own advice on how to take care of your sewing machine.